Monday, July 28, 2014

Zaitoon, Bangalore

It has been ages since I wrote a restaurant review, mostly due to work pressure and domestic bliss. I think I will cover some of the restaurants I have discovered in the past year in the next few posts.

Zaitoon has been a regular for me for last few weeks. Primarily a indo-arabic restaurant, the specialties there include all sorts of kababs and kheema based dishes. And I have to admit they have one of the best dishes there.

The restaurant is on Old Airport Road, opposite the Leela Kempinski, with a good open parking lot right next to it. Most of the time I have been there, we needed to wait a few minutes to get a table (especially during the Ramadan season). But the service is good, and the waiters are friendly and accommodating of any reasonable request that you make. The tables are close to each other, with not that much leg space, but not uncomfortably cramped. I recommend the Mutton Lal Mass, which consists of well cooked pieces of Mutton in a spicy minced meat base, for those inclined towards red meat. They also have a Chicken Guldasta, which consists of chicken minced and cubes in different colored gravies, for the non red meat lovers. Vegetarians are mostly out of luck here. :-) The shawarma and falafels are better than those served at the Empires and Imperials. I tried ordering Haleem during Ramadan, but they had Hareesa instead (sans the spices), which was not as tasty as I would have liked. They keep running out of it, as fast as they make it!

The price is quite reasonable as well. Three people having a real go at stuffing themselves, set us back by around 1200. And we really did try! At this point, it is at the top of my list for indo-arab cuisine. Special thanks to my wife for making me try it the first time!

No comments: